You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-08 17:26:46

TesseractE

Something I miss in Space Shooters....

Reverse Thrust.

That's it.  Sounds simple, right?  But most space shooters just act like atmospheric shooters set in space.... well, other than that you can come to a dead stop.  Sometimes, you'll just coast to a stop if you stop applying thrust.  That shouldn't be the case, either.

I'm the kind of pilot in these games that makes other people sick when they watch me.  I'd love to be able to build up some momentum, turn 180 degrees and fire at a pursuer while still maintaining some of that rearward momentum.

Any room in the physics engine for something like this or other similar adaptations to an actual gravity-free environment?  If you're planning for ship customisation, you could even add a 'fly and forget' package pre-installed on all ships that would allow your craft to fly 'atmospherically', but that could be removed for 'true' motion once you feel you're ready to attempt it.

#2 2014-07-08 17:58:26

Howard Day
Wings Artist

Re: Something I miss in Space Shooters....

Excellent idea! It's actually something we've got planned - Currently double-tapping the directional keys gives a special action - double forward is afterburn, side-to-side is a barrel roll, and we will make double back to be retro-burn/sudden reverse. It's something I've wanted to add for a long time, and just haven't gotten around to it. I also don't see any reason why when you cut your engines and change direction, that the ships shouldn't continue on in the same direction as you were originally thrusting. I'll look into adding that as well!

Board footer