You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-08 20:38:11

Arthalion

Stunning game.

First of all, this game is absolutely gorgeous. Reminds me of the xwa upgrade mods for X-Wing Alliance; improving the visual quality whilst keeping the familiar looks and styles I'm used to. Speaking of which, the only other space combat sims I've played are the X-Wing games, having never played Wing Commander, though given how much influence it has on WoSN, I probably should.

Since X-wing is my only point of reference, I found the controls very intuitive, being able to start dogfighting straight away. I didn't even struggle with the radar system, which I found simple and easy to understand. My fighter's manoeuvrability is a little sluggish, though to me that adds to the realism and immersion, so I'm perfectly happy with it. Overall I've enjoyed the few hours I've played already, and look forward to hundreds more(I'm pretty much addicted).

And now, like a child who didn't quite get what he wanted for Christmas, I do have a couple of things I think could be improved, assuming the game is at fault, rather than my own equipment:

1. Throttle adjustment: When playing the game, I use my joystick. As I said earlier the controls are intuitive and sharp. However, when using the throttle on my joystick, I have no gradual increase or decrease in speed. I can only choose between full speed or full stop. With the keyboard controls, I can gradually increase or decrease my speed. I'm unsure whether the game isn't registering my throttle's input, or my joystick isn't fully compatible. Although all other joystick inputs work fine.

2. Changing control functions: With the game's auto assigned control scheme for my joystick, the missile fire button is used to change targets, with the actual missiles being fired by one of the buttons on my throttle. When trying to change the controls in the options menu, the game isn't registering when I press the button I want for a particular function. Instead it simply reassigns one of the movement controls. An example of this is when I tried to change the fire missile function to the fire missile button. When selecting the the option with my mouse, the message "Press new key..." flashes on the screen before quickly disappearing. After several attempts, I managed to change the fire missile command to the fire missile button, but when trying to assign a button to target lock, a movement control is reassigned.

Other than these issues, and frankly I can live with issue #2 since it's only a minor inconvenience, the game is fantastic.

EDIT: After some more button pushing, I've managed to assign all the commands to their corresponding buttons, so issue #2 is no longer a problem. In as much as I don't have to go near the control options again.

Last edited by Arthalion (2014-07-08 20:46:10)

#2 2014-07-09 18:04:17

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: Stunning game.

Hey thanks for your comments and feedback! We do want to work on adding some better calibration options for joystick users!

As far as the throttle issue is concerned, are you trying to bind an axis to it or buttons?

#3 2014-07-09 18:35:31

Arthalion

I currently have the throttle axes bound, labelled "Joy1 Axis 3-" for acceleration, and "Joy1 Axis 3+" for braking. These are the controls that only allow full throttle, or full brake. After reading your reply, I tried binding buttons to the throttle controls, and found that I could gradually increase and decrease my speed using the buttons.

#4 2014-07-09 18:36:37

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Yeah, right now we're using buttons internally for it - an optional axis instead would be nice I guess!

#5 2014-07-09 18:47:03

Arthalion

Thanks for the help! I'll use the buttons for now, though I'll probably continue move the throttle axes out of instinct. Still, could be worse. My old joystick had a scroll wheel for a throttle.

#6 2014-07-17 05:17:23

YggBjorn

Arthalion wrote:

2. Changing control functions: With the game's auto assigned control scheme for my joystick, the missile fire button is used to change targets, with the actual missiles being fired by one of the buttons on my throttle. When trying to change the controls in the options menu, the game isn't registering when I press the button I want for a particular function. Instead it simply reassigns one of the movement controls. An example of this is when I tried to change the fire missile function to the fire missile button. When selecting the the option with my mouse, the message "Press new key..." flashes on the screen before quickly disappearing. After several attempts, I managed to change the fire missile command to the fire missile button, but when trying to assign a button to target lock, a movement control is reassigned.

Other than these issues, and frankly I can live with issue #2 since it's only a minor inconvenience, the game is fantastic.

EDIT: After some more button pushing, I've managed to assign all the commands to their corresponding buttons, so issue #2 is no longer a problem. In as much as I don't have to go near the control options again.

I had a similar if not the same problem when remapping my controls. I am using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro Joystick. When trying to remap controls to different buttons I would see the "press any key..." flash quickly and disappear. I then realized it was remapping the throttle axis to whatever I wanted to remap. I adjusted the throttle bar on my joystick to the middle of it's axis so it was neither plus nor minus and that fixed the issue. The "press any key..." doesn't auto remap to the throttle axis anymore and I was able to easily remap the buttons to whatever I wanted.

Board footer