You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-13 20:26:29

Le Chuck

Starfighter arcade build and a few requests for WOSN

I posted this up in the meet and greet thread - thought I'd post an update since I've got quite a bit more done on the build.  It's not finished yet, still need to design the vinyl but it's playable.  Controller is what I'm calling a yoke+, it's an Atari two axis yoke from a STUN Runner with an analog thumb control hacked into the right handle.  The left has a thumb button and both have independent triggers, naturally. 

47793AFE-D446-49EC-A731-838C4C7A3A9B_zpswskddgya.jpg

A7CA4E59-1947-43E9-A5EB-CCBA4AAD6184_zpsbvotsbsr.jpg

A few notes: 

Resolutions:  I'd really like to see 4:3 resolution available like 800x600 - I'm running a 25" CRT and it just can't handle the widescreen resolutions very well. 

Controls: 

It doesn't make sense for there to be separate controller menus.  I'd lose the one right before you launch and keep the one in the main menu with the other global settings. 

Why oh why can't one use a mapped controller to navigate the menus?  Having the option to not use a mouse only to force us to us a mouse to get through the menu and get the game started is aggravating.  Especially for all of us out there that will play this game on some sort of an arcade platform that isn't mouse friendly (there are more of us than you'd think)

I noticed that the "nose" controls are jerky on the Analog input.  Seems that when one uses analog rather than mice the game changes the analog to a digital input on a repeat so it will go U/D/L/R incrementally.  Would be much better if movement rate was based on amount turned ie, slow smooth turn when I move a little left, maxed out fast turn if I move yoke all the way left.

Anyway thanks for looking, would love to hear recommendations for the side art for this build, and look forward to the next WOSN update!

#2 2014-07-14 13:07:19

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: Starfighter arcade build and a few requests for WOSN

Looks really awesome! We're still working on what aspect ratios we can support etc. Because Wings is mostly a 2D game (cockpits for example) it's not as easy to just allow all aspect ratios and resolutions as it is in a 3D game. The menus and menu flow is also just something quick we put together for the alpha and absolutely not final. We want to make the menus work with controller input definitely.

As far as the analog stick input is concerned, I'm not quite sure what's going wrong. When we use analog sticks on gamepads to control the steering, it works in the way you described. The more you move the stick in one direction, the harder it turns in that direction!

#3 2014-07-15 18:03:20

Rockyrocket

Re: Starfighter arcade build and a few requests for WOSN

Just registered to back up chuckles claim of there being more of us than you think!

I can not seem to get a yoke to map properly either but am using a different interface board to Le Chuck, I can get some success with third party tools, but not natively.
My X52 did work out of the box though -  so that`s a win just there!.

OpcrZab.jpg

Board footer