You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-14 16:35:22

dabayah

Just another feedback post

It's always delightful to get my hands on a space combat sim since let's face it, the genre is slowly dying away.

WOSN is one hell of a treat, I gotta say. The retro feel of it is brilliant and brings back a great feeling from my childhood while also bringing a new very stylized feel to gaming. Getting to the actual feedback, I at first found the initial sensitivity to be ridiculous (using a mouse) and I had no luck controlling my starship, I gave up, had a beer, cracked my knuckles and got back into it.

Cranked the sensitivity down to 110% and that seemed to have done the trick, HOWEVER, there still seems to be an issue being the fact that the cursor seems to be stuck inside some small invisible box when in game. Now even though the cursor stops moving, you're still moving the mouse outside of that region but you simply cannot see it, as a result, if you're making a hard left for example, when you see your target and try to straighten up, it almost feels like there's a lag in the correction.

I had a very straightforward way of fixing this, which was adjusting the sensitivity up to 150% and doing my best to keep the turns inside that little invisible box. I would recommend fixing that by evening out the turning speeds which can be a bit ridiculous. Given that this is still in the demo so much  is quite subject to change.

Secondly is enemy ships seeming to phase through things. On my 5th or 6th launch I was really into it, I knew where that one squadron would be and I made a hard right turn to get right behind them and blast em, but then they went right through my carrier ship. Thinking that maybe it was just an environment error I tried going through as well, didn't quite have the same result though, bounced right off. So those are two things I kind of have issues with, enemies can go right through things (possibly me too?) and it obviously poses problems for gameplay, plenty of times in the dogfights I would see the enemy ship charging right at me and it would seem like GG RESPAWN SOON, but nothing happens, they keep on their merry way and keep shooting, and the bouncing off of the larger ships, I guess they're both kind of part of the same problem. Momento Mori. I want to fear dying in this game, like REALLY fear dying, for the speed and mobility that this fighter has, I'd think that it would have a very small amount of armor, even though it's a demo and you can't die yet, I'd at least like to know that my craft is sustaining damage.

Lastly, before the gameplay starts there's a little control board showing what does what.

Numbers 1,2, & 3 are for some kind of power source, I mashed them for a bit and didn't see anything happening, is that just not included in the game yet?

Overall this game has massive potential, you guys have given me a taste and you can expect me to keep playing, would love to be contacted for any kind of closed beta.

Keep up the fantastic work!

#2 2014-07-14 16:39:23

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: Just another feedback post

Thank you very much, dabayah! What you're playing is not a demo, it's an alpha! The way input works has been changed and enemies don't clip through ships anymore, those changes will become public once the new alpha version launches in the near future (we're still cramming more features in). Power distribution has not been implemented yet.

Thanks again for the nice words!

#3 2014-07-14 16:50:51

dabayah

Looking forward to it, I'll be in touch!

#4 2014-10-17 19:32:44

dabayah

Hi again, sorry about the massive delay in response, been squashed by corporate!

I just tried the new mac client, gameplay was lovely, though the problem with the explosions still persists, nowhere near as bad though and I haven't had any issues with a complete blackscreen at all!

New problems though, in the ship selection cycle, if I go through the entire cycle, it won't allow me to go forward through it again. Also after dying, I'm taken back to the home page but it's frozen and won't allow me to play again unless I restart the client, the progress in the gameplay is beautiful, and a big step from last time I played, I'll be doing my best to keep in the loop with updates and such with WOSN, see ya soon!

Board footer