You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-20 17:43:08

MaxiM
Website

UI Fonts

I have notice that you're working on making the fonts less janky and more readable, which is awesome. But, I think you should do it differently. No AA whatsoever and just pick a pixel-font that is perfecly readable in very small resolutions and scales well, maintaining the sharpness. I found tons of fonts like that for my own purposes. One of the examples would be http://www.dafont.com/bit-daylong11.font

At 11pt (native size) it looks clear and sharp and then I can scale it up nicely by 2x, 3x, 4x and so forth. Try it smile Anti-aliased fonts look a bit out-of-place in your otherwise nearest-neighborly pixelated game.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. ~George Bernard Shaw

#2 2014-07-22 01:30:57

spillway
Website

Re: UI Fonts

Respectfully disagree. I feel like Wings looks the way we all remember 90s games looking, rather than the way they actually looked, and the more polish they can put on the original concept the better.

You're not wrong about that font, though. Seems like it would be perfect for their purposes if they were to go that way.

#3 2014-08-01 23:30:48

Howard Day
Wings Artist

Re: UI Fonts

I think we're going to stick with the Anti Aliasing. The benefits far outweigh the minor downsides of getting rid of some of the retro-ness. I'd rather people be able to read the text, without squinting. smile Thanks for the font, though! I know we'll be using it somewhere.

Board footer