You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-24 13:34:34

DoomFox

First/Fav/General Space Sim chat

Hey everyone DoomFox here.

As the title says, what was the first/ fav space sim you guys have played or if you know of one that you would like to share.

My introduction to the space sim genre was with Privateer 2 via DOSbox. I was actually blown away by it, partly from not knowing what to expect from an old game from the 90s (the only other being Doom 1+2).
Personally I like the game but my main gripe (and this goes for a number of late 90s/early 2000s games) was the lack of cockpit view on all the ships. Yes it was nice having more ships and it didn't affect the gameplay it did feel like something was missing from the experience.

#2 2014-07-24 13:43:04

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: First/Fav/General Space Sim chat

Nice idea for a thread and good starting post as well! My first space sim was seeing my friend play the original Tie Fighter way back in the 90s. We were both huge Star Wars fans and seeing a game like that in the franchise blew me away! Then I got X-Wing and later X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and the Balance of Power add on.

In fact, the very first thing from Tie Fighter I remember was the guard when you 'register' (ie. select a profile in the beginning), he would point his gun at you if you tried to click on to the next screen without entering a name haha.

Last edited by Jan Simon (2014-07-24 13:43:53)

#3 2014-07-26 15:51:06

Julopabene

My first space sim was Rebel Assault, my dad showed it to me when I was 6 years old.

Suddenly, Julo.
THIS does NOT help!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 764

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 837

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 837

#4 2014-08-07 06:43:06

SunOfABeach

Julopabene wrote:

My first space sim was Rebel Assault, my dad showed it to me when I was 6 years old.

Rebel Assault was my first space shooter aswell, but you can hardly call that a space sim. It's more like target practice. wink

Other than that, X-Wing and Tie Fighter were my first (and are still my favorite!) space sims. Nothing I've played ever since came close to those games in terms in gameplay.

#5 2014-08-18 13:53:06

DoomFox

So I seem to have stumbled upon an old copy of X-wing vs TIE fighter: The Academy in a box of old win 98/DOS games. Anyone here played it and is it any good?
On a side note I somehow have the box for X-Wing limited edition but no actual game -.- *Flips Desk*

Board footer