You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-30 06:30:04

captaincabbage

Mouse aim suggestion

Hey guys, first and foremost I just wanna say how much I appreciate you guys and this game. I've been wanting a really old-school game like this for the longest time, but with games like Fury3 and Mechwarrior 2 pretty much inaccessible on my computer in this day and age, pretty much my only fix has been the Brutal Doom mod, up until now. This really is everything I've been hoping for in a space shooter. No over-advanced controls or gameplay concepts, just some fun, easy, and awesome looking space shooty action. It's a nice change to say the least.

Now, onto my feedback.
After playing the alpha for a while, I've come to the conclusion that the mouse aim is a bit fiddly. This isn't exactly your fault. mouse aiming has always been a bit of an pain since way back in the good old Battlefield 2 days. However, in recent years new control methods for this have combated the wonkyness of the mouse.
I am, of course, talking about the mouse-aim controls from War Thunder!
Now, I've played War thunder for at least a year or more now, and I do love it, but what I've ruminated on more than anything is just how well they've made flying with a mouse. Of course you'll hear people whining and complaining on the forums about "mouse-aimers", but honestly they are the vocal minority of classic stick jockeys vying for a place in modern flight gaming. The thing is about it is that what Gaijin has done is significantly advance the common controls of flight aiming in games and this should be looked upon in the same sort of light as the advancement of modern FPS controls, or common RTS or top-down dungeon crawler controls.

Anyway, what I'd suggest is implementing a system like the one seen in War Thunder into WOSN. I strongly feel that it is the future of flight games and works well, regardless of whether it's used in a terrestrial flight game or space game.

#2 2014-08-01 17:53:12

Tiredapplejack

Re: Mouse aim suggestion

I created an account just to agree with you, please do this!

#3 2014-08-01 23:13:30

Howard Day
Wings Artist

Okay, good suggestion! If I understand correctly, the way the mouse control works is like it's rubber-banded to the reticule? Also, when you say "fiddly" do you mean the sensitivity is too high by default? If so, we can drop that for everyone right away.
Thanks for the suggestion!

#4 2014-08-05 00:23:42

captaincabbage

Howard Day wrote:

Okay, good suggestion! If I understand correctly, the way the mouse control works is like it's rubber-banded to the reticule? Also, when you say "fiddly" do you mean the sensitivity is too high by default? If so, we can drop that for everyone right away.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh gee, wow. I didn't expect a response from one of the lead devs for some reason.
Yeah, it's quite basically a rubberband effect on the nose of the shit that aligns with the mouse reticle. Before I say anything else I just want to get it out of the way that War Thunder has it a lot easier in regards to this control system, since it's a terrestrial flight game, so there's always a point of reference as to where you are between the clouds and the ground, and with that core reference point comes things like auto-roll and 'self-righting' code so the plane is always oriented correctly with the ground.
I think the key thing with the idea of 'WT mouse aim' is that the camera works better tracking on either the nose or the mouse reticle depending on which view mode you're in. In third-person for example in WT player orientation is aided by being able to see the direction that their plane is facing, whereas in cockpit view it may be easier to control where you're going by having your camera locked to the nose of the craft. Either way, it's food for thought.

On the matter of current flight controls I think they're good at the moment however the design could be improved, mostly by making the mouse reticle persistent on the screen (maybe made to look holographic by showing up on the ship's canopy but not the A-pillars?), and maybe normalising the range of motion needed for each fighter to turn at a certain speed/angle.
On a side-note, this conversation got me thinking about terrestrial flight in WoSN. If I could add in my two cents about that whole matter, I think simple maps would be the way to go if you ever decide on including that. Things that could be tiled and/or repeated easily with minimum effort whilst maximising visual appeal i.e rolling sand dunes, rocky canyon floors, mesas, etc.
Whatever you decide to do, download and play some WT and have a real feel of how it plays. Youtube an only show you so much.

Oh and by the way, you and I have the same last name. Would you have any tips for a fellow Day on getting into the game industry, considering I have neither the patience or skill to program? I am hella passionate about games and it's my general life dream to get into games in some sort of management role. big_smile

Board footer