You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2015-02-04 06:32:17

Why485

The Front Page and misuse of GIFs

First, let me get out of the way that I love what you guys are doing and I'm rooting for you. It's inspirational to see a small team do so much with such polish and fervor.

However, you need to stop using GIFs the way you are. It cripples Chrome and utterly destroys the viewing experience for other browsers to have to download hundreds of megabytes of short GIF videos. At best you'll be staring at a bunch of slideshow images until eventually they smooth out, at worst you just get blank images because it hasn't even started to download those images as its already got ~100MB of GIF already in progress. To say nothing of the impact this must have on your server usage. GIF was never designed for this and when your GIFs start reaching into the 30MB territory, something is very wrong.

Webm is slowly becoming the new standard. Here's a 30MB GIF in webm form. The filesize in webm is only 7MB with virtually no loss in visual quality. In fact, if you were to start from raw video and convert to webm, it would look even better than me trying to convert the already compressed (in terms of color space) GIF files. Webm would allow you to have super smooth 60fps video in a significantly more compact and easier to view format.

That 7MB is conservative too. I can compress that down to only 3MB with little loss in visual quality and again, if I were doing this from a source video it would look even better than the GIF image while still being significantly smaller.

In fact, here's some gameplay I recorded and compressed myself. 60fps, 720p, 6MB, 17 seconds of video.

I really hate to come off as harsh and demanding, and I hate that this is my first post, but I registered specifically because this has been driving me crazy and I needed to say something. It really kills the browsing experience and is a complete turnoff to anybody interested in what is otherwise an awesome looking game that I love talking about.

Last edited by Why485 (2015-02-04 06:33:31)

#2 2015-02-04 10:09:32

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: The Front Page and misuse of GIFs

Hi and welcome to our forums! No worries about being critical, you make a very good point! We've been thinking of different ways to reduce the file size of our front page and WebM indeed looks to be a great solution.

#3 2015-03-01 01:41:12

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

I just rolled out an update where our devlog loads news items in pairs from now on. This means the entire thing will not try and load all at the same time, instead you can browse our catalog of news entries. If possible, we will also try to transition over to using WebM instead of GIF for future posts.

#4 2015-04-19 20:23:34

Why485

Thanks, just the pair loading alone is a huge help!

Board footer