You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2013-08-11 11:59:42

TokamakuYokuu

how do i shot aliens?

Hello there! I'm not exactly an old-old-school pilot (FreeSpace is the oldest space adventure I've had) but I tried out the alpha anyways. Windows download version. Pretty cool stuff.

The good:
-OH MAN IT'S A COOL SPACE FIGHTIN GAME
-OH MAN IT'S SO PRETTY
-Cockpit feels great whenever it's not in the way.
-Wasted an hour and an untold number of aliens.
-LTAC SMASH!
-NEUTRON SMASH HARDER (but with less cockpit-shaking, so it doesn't feel nearly as good)!
-MISSILE BOOM!

The bad:
-The mouse controls are a nightmare to use. The only other time I've used free-floating cursors with forward-fixed guns was pre-patch Wing Commander Saga, and it completely crippled me. A tedious pre-patch five minute dogfight became a thirty second exchange post-patch. Being able to continually turn hard isn't worth giving up my ability to aim with any kind of precision. Making hard turns is difficult because whenever I drag the mouse far in one direction, I have to drag it equally far back even if the displayed cursor stopped moving away from the aiming reticule halfway through the first drag.
-The missiles circle their targets an awful lot. This gets a little frustrating because sometimes they hit dead on and sometimes they spend a while orbiting something because they can't reach the designated contact point. Some proximity detonation would be nice.
-Inability to select aspect ratio when playing windowed. The cockpit takes an awful lot of screen real estate and I need some vertical space to see things.
-Maybe it's just the standalone version but I can't seem to make audio settings stick or change at all. It remembers my resolution but not that I want to turn the music volume down.

The questionable:
-3d radar. There's already a thread on this.
-The gun energy bar empties and... that's actually the half-way mark. Why a two-stage energy bar?
-Sometimes the target display is replaced with something that's obviously not a ship wireframe and I don't know why.
-Not sure what the point of double-tapping to roll is or why it's better than holding down roll.
-Option to change double-tap thresholds eventually would be nice. I keep accidentally afterburning when fine-tuning speed.
-What I'm pretty sure is the distance indicator isn't displayed in integers. 302.5892 is uselessly precise and much harder to read than 302.
-Gun kills take approximately forever.
-I have no idea how much damage I'm doing to anything, which is mostly annoying because killing something with the guns takes forever. Part of this is the HUD not being entirely complete, but having visual indicators that don't require you to take your eyes off the target would also help. Something like smoke trails or spewing small bits of debris.
-On the other side of the coin, I have no idea how much damage I'm taking. Yet. Suddenly dying caught me by surprise.
-What's fuel do?
-Not having a "target whatever's under my crosshair" button would have been frustrating but the placeholder AI is only a step above vegetables right now.

#2 2013-08-13 05:14:51

Howard Day
Wings Artist

Re: how do i shot aliens?

TokamakuYokuu wrote:

Hello there! I'm not exactly an old-old-school pilot (FreeSpace is the oldest space adventure I've had) but I tried out the alpha anyways. Windows download version. Pretty cool stuff.

The good:
-OH MAN IT'S SO PRETTY
-Cockpit feels great whenever it's not in the way.
-Wasted an hour and an untold number of aliens.
-LTAC SMASH!
-NEUTRON SMASH HARDER (but with less cockpit-shaking, so it doesn't feel nearly as good)!
-MISSILE BOOM!

Thanks! The LTACs are basically small copper rods accelerated to .4c. Do not stand in front of.

The bad:
-The mouse controls are a nightmare to use. The only other time I've used free-floating cursors with forward-fixed guns was pre-patch Wing Commander Saga, and it completely crippled me. A tedious pre-patch five minute dogfight became a thirty second exchange post-patch. Being able to continually turn hard isn't worth giving up my ability to aim with any kind of precision. Making hard turns is difficult because whenever I drag the mouse far in one direction, I have to drag it equally far back even if the displayed cursor stopped moving away from the aiming reticule halfway through the first drag.

Oh, absolutely! We're working on having adjustable mouse sensitivity settings (and those might be in already!) ideally, you should only have to move the mouse about 2 inches in any direction to go from full lock to opposite lock. Definitely something on our radar!

-The missiles circle their targets an awful lot. This gets a little frustrating because sometimes they hit dead on and sometimes they spend a while orbiting something because they can't reach the designated contact point. Some proximity detonation would be nice.

Oh, Lawd. Don't they just? So the issue here, is that we're going to have effectively two separate types of missile AI. The human missiles are going to be, on the whole, unbelievably hard to dodge and escape. Some will be better than others, of course...but they will be very deadly. The Alien missiles, on the other hand, are really dumb. Like... blowing each other up dumb. So the missile AI in there now is a 50/50 blend of the two, and will be more clearly delineated when we put the aliens in.

-Inability to select aspect ratio when playing windowed. The cockpit takes an awful lot of screen real estate and I need some vertical space to see things.
-Maybe it's just the standalone version but I can't seem to make audio settings stick or change at all. It remembers my resolution but not that I want to turn the music volume down.

So, the answer to the first one (and you're not going to like it) is... no. The game is designed to be played and viewed at multiples of 640x400. If a particular cockpit is causing visibility issues...that is intended. Blind spots, turning differences, and overall visibility are the things that will help make these fighters feel unique. If each has excellent visibility, then there's less of a difference, and the whole thing gets less interesting.
The second one is obviously a bug, and one we'll look into as soon as Jan gets back (he's out for a week traveling). The options saving code is his, and I'd hate to make it worse by my lame bugfixing. big_smile

The questionable:
-3d radar. There's already a thread on this.

Yep, this is the first of the code issues I plan on facing.

-The gun energy bar empties and... that's actually the half-way mark. Why a two-stage energy bar?

Interesting... I had intended to mimic the X-Wing and Tie Fighter system of gun charges. I will re-evaluate that.

-Sometimes the target display is replaced with something that's obviously not a ship wireframe and I don't know why.

Definitely a bug, and I'll try and fix it.

-Not sure what the point of double-tapping to roll is or why it's better than holding down roll.

Ah, because unlike a normal roll, a double-tapped roll will strafe you to the side. It's actually very effective at dodging missiles, if you time it right!

-Option to change double-tap thresholds eventually would be nice. I keep accidentally afterburning when fine-tuning speed.
-What I'm pretty sure is the distance indicator isn't displayed in integers. 302.5892 is uselessly precise and much harder to read than 302.

Noted! I will fix at least the second one!

-Gun kills take approximately forever.
-I have no idea how much damage I'm doing to anything, which is mostly annoying because killing something with the guns takes forever. Part of this is the HUD not being entirely complete, but having visual indicators that don't require you to take your eyes off the target would also help. Something like smoke trails or spewing small bits of debris.
-On the other side of the coin, I have no idea how much damage I'm taking. Yet. Suddenly dying caught me by surprise.

All part of a system in progress. The player damage system is somewhat complete on the backend, but the displays are yet to be hooked up!

-What's fuel do?

Controls how much you can afterburn and do fancy roll maneuvers. Once it's gone, they take your fancy dancing shoes away.

-Not having a "target whatever's under my crosshair" button would have been frustrating but the placeholder AI is only a step above vegetables right now.

Definitely! That's going to be the next thing Jan hooks up. it's going to be "within distance to reticule" or "closest thing" based on whether or not there's anything next to your reticule.

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you're stoked about the game!

#3 2013-08-13 20:14:34

TokamakuYokuu

Re: how do i shot aliens?

Howard Day wrote:

Oh, absolutely! We're working on having adjustable mouse sensitivity settings (and those might be in already!) ideally, you should only have to move the mouse about 2 inches in any direction to go from full lock to opposite lock. Definitely something on our radar!

I saw the sensitivity option. I'm more concerned about the actual mouse control scheme and its pseudo-joystick shenanigans.

Oh, Lawd. Don't they just? So the issue here, is that we're going to have effectively two separate types of missile AI. The human missiles are going to be, on the whole, unbelievably hard to dodge and escape. Some will be better than others, of course...but they will be very deadly. The Alien missiles, on the other hand, are really dumb. Like... blowing each other up dumb. So the missile AI in there now is a 50/50 blend of the two, and will be more clearly delineated when we put the aliens in.

That extremely persistent AI sometimes gets them caught circling slow-moving ships. It's very silly.
Does this also mean a poorly placed alien missile salvo can chain-detonate itself into oblivion?

So, the answer to the first one (and you're not going to like it) is... no. The game is designed to be played and viewed at multiples of 640x400. If a particular cockpit is causing visibility issues...that is intended. Blind spots, turning differences, and overall visibility are the things that will help make these fighters feel unique. If each has excellent visibility, then there's less of a difference, and the whole thing gets less interesting.

Huh. Does 4:3 support leave black space then? I don't have any way to conveniently see for myself.

Interesting... I had intended to mimic the X-Wing and Tie Fighter system of gun charges. I will re-evaluate that.

Haven't played, so I can't comment on that.

All part of a system in progress. The player damage system is somewhat complete on the backend, but the displays are yet to be hooked up!

I thought I saw my shield indicators flickering but I never paid it much attention when there weren't any obvious indicators I was taking damage.

Controls how much you can afterburn and do fancy roll maneuvers. Once it's gone, they take your fancy dancing shoes away.

BUT THEN I'LL NEVER BE PRETTY

Board footer