You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-07-08 04:35:22

Ratchet916

Outstanding

Howard, Jan, Daniel...  you guys are AWESOME!!!  I just got my grubby little paws on this gem today, read about it on PC Gamer, and I just need to know...  where has this beauty been for the last few years?  I'm absolutely in love with what you've done here, you've somehow managed to make the game feel completely retro like I was playing Wing Commander, yet it feels modernized and turbo-charged.  The faux-3D system really makes this gem shine.  The artwork is fantastic, the controls are pretty much spot on, the sound and music score are just delightful.  Seriously dudes, I'm downright impressed.  This praise is coming from a space-sim FANATIC who's played every major space genre game since the late 80's.  I might get tarred and feathered for saying this, but I might actually be more excited about Wings of Saint Nazaire than I am for Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous. 

Personally, I think you guys should hit up IndieGoGo or Kickstarter and get some serious funds flowing so you guys can focus ALL of your time on this baby.  Honestly, with the great coverage you're getting right now on PC Gamer and Rock/Paper/Shotgun, I bet this project would rake it in like crazy in the crowd-funding scene.  I say get some cash rolling from all of the drooling space-sim starved people like me and go crazy on it.

I also thought I'd mention that despite what other comments say, I actually find the radar to be extremely easy to read and use in a split-second.  A suggestion though, while I would normally hook up my HOTAS for one of these games, I found the mouse and keyboard controls to be extremely tight and satisfying to use...  minus one gripe.  Please put in an option to disable the double-tap barrel roll feature.  I find that I accidentally trigger the barrel roll often as I constantly use the A and D keys to adjust my roll.  Sometimes, when I'm fine tuning my orientation, I use just small taps at a time, that's when it happens...  DO A BARREL ROLL!!!

Anyway, dudes, you all rock and I support what you're doing 150%.  Keep up the good work!

#2 2014-08-04 23:33:42

Howard Day
Wings Artist

Re: Outstanding

Ratchet916: Thank you! We're all stoked that people are enjoying the game. Seriously, we're giddy over it, and it's just inspiring us to make it better and better. For all the comparisons to other space sims - we're not even in the same ballpark. What's we're trying to accomplish here is completely different, and on a much small scale.

We're holding off on the IndieGogo/ Kickstarter for now - we've all got jobs, and at least one of us would have to quit a well-paying gig to do this right. If that ever changes, we'll definitely look to start a crowd funding campaign. You got to remember, that it takes a lot of money to make a game full-time. And frankly I've got my doubts on whether we'd reach the goal we need to. The market is somewhat saturated right now.

Glad you like the radar - we're still working on tuning it, so hopefully it will only get better.
Barrel Rolls are now tap-and-hold and include a strafe. Hold it down as long as you like, and the ship will spin around its axis while strafing to the side.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy the new alpha!

#3 2014-08-11 22:44:49

Ratchet916

WoSN team,

Well, I just got done playing about a 45 minute session of the new Alpha and I have to say, it's coming along beautifully!  The new playable ships are awesome, the game feels completely different with each ship which is a major win.  I'm totally sold on the tweak in the control scheme, you completely fixed my woes that I brought up previously. 

When I compared WoSN to Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, I strictly meant this as far as my excitement goes.  Obviously the others are much deeper and well funded productions, but neither one brings me back to the feeling of the space sim glory days like your game does.  As previously mentioned, the faux-3d art style of the game really puts me back in the cockpit of the old Wing Commander and Star Wars sims, it's absolutely awesome!  As far as I'm concerned, the worst thing to happen to the Wing Commander series was the switch to 3d models in Wing Commander 3, it just didn't feel the same as the hand drawn sprites.  Although 3d models are a better tech moving forward, they just weren't good enough at the time to trump the sprites.

Anyway, I'm really happy that things are progressing well for your team, these are really exciting times for space sim fans.  As fellow space sim aficionados, I'm sure you three are just as excited about the revival of the genre as the rest of us.  It's hard to believe that the genre went dead for so long when there's obviously so many loyal followers out there.

All my best to the WoSN team, keep up the good work, fellas!  On a side note, if you guys aren't planning a crowd funding campaign any time soon, I would at the very least encourage you to set up a Pay-Pal powered support system.  I would toss you guys a chunk of change right now if you had the system in place.  At the very least, I'd like to know I bought you boys a couple rounds of brews for your hard work.  Cheers!

Last edited by Ratchet916 (2014-08-11 22:53:28)

#4 2014-09-27 21:35:58

cknapp61

52 Year old guy here, began PC gaming with Wing Commander through Freespace 2, and Flight Sims from Jet Fighter 2 through Falcon 4.0 and IL Sturmovick.   I like the graphics of WoSN, however....the fact that it defaulted to MOUSE for control, then forced me to select INVERT PITCH (using Win7 and an MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick), should have told me enough about the game...it is designed for "mouth breathers" (mouse or game pad users incapable of thinking in 3D, not real PC gamers), and does not have Falcon 4 gamers, Flight Sim and Space Sim enthusiasts in mind.  After experiencing significant issues attempting to bind "roll" and "throttle" commands the joystick, I promptly removed the game from my system.  Great potential....poor execution.

Last edited by cknapp61 (2014-09-27 21:36:57)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 764

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 837

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 837

#5 2014-09-28 09:21:39

SunOfABeach

cknapp61 wrote:

52 Year old guy here, began PC gaming with Wing Commander through Freespace 2, and Flight Sims from Jet Fighter 2 through Falcon 4.0 and IL Sturmovick.   I like the graphics of WoSN, however....the fact that it defaulted to MOUSE for control, then forced me to select INVERT PITCH (using Win7 and an MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick), should have told me enough about the game...it is designed for "mouth breathers" (mouse or game pad users incapable of thinking in 3D, not real PC gamers), and does not have Falcon 4 gamers, Flight Sim and Space Sim enthusiasts in mind.  After experiencing significant issues attempting to bind "roll" and "throttle" commands the joystick, I promptly removed the game from my system.  Great potential....poor execution.

This is an early alpha version. This means a lot of features that will make this game more complex and sim-like aren't implemented yet. Also, bugs are normal at this stage of development. So instead of vaguely grumbling about 'experiencing significant issues', you might want to head over to the 'Bug Reports' section of this forum and give these guys a helping hand. If you don't like some default configs, just open up a thread and explain why they should be changed. This is rather community driven, you see. The demo you played has to be seen as a proof of concept: you show the potential your game has, hoping to get feedback from the community. You're judging this thing as if it were a complete and finalized product.

#6 2014-09-28 12:01:04

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Excellent post, SunOfABeach. Sums it up nicely and exactly! tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/howday3/wingsofstnazaire.com/forum/include/parser.php on line 764

#7 2014-10-07 01:15:26

Ratchet916

cknapp61 wrote:

Wow, dude, what a totally rude post.  First off, this is a work in progress, which by no means is polished like a finished product.  This is an ALPHA build, which means it's barely more than proof of concept at this stage.  An open development process like this means the development team is seeking feedback to help shape their game, not @$$hole level remarks that put down their hard work.  Second, this is a free, let me say it again...  FREE game.  The way you act, it's like someone took your hard earned money and gave you a lump of crap in return.  No one asked you to play it, no one even asked you to like it, so the least you could do is say "Thanks for the effort, buy here's why it wasn't to my liking..."  It honestly really bums me out that people use the anonymity of the internet to act like complete @$$clowns when you'd likely never have the nerve to talk to these fellas like that face to face.

Lastly, calling people who use a mouse and keyboard "mouth breathers" and implying inherent stupidity based on a control method is absolutely ridiculous.  There's many reasons to use a mouse and keyboard: different game types (would you really use your UBER-PWNAGE-L337 Sidewinder to play an FPS or an RTS game?), sheer convenience (with a game like WoSN, it's likely that people will play in bite-sized sessions, getting out the flight yoke isn't always necessary), and last but not least is the cost (I'm sure not everyone out there can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a serious stick setup).  Saying that using a mouse and keyboard is a sign of stupidity has got to be one of the dumbest comments I've heard in a long time, what a complete clown you are.  Seriously though, get over yourself and the feeling of internet anonymity and grow up.

P.S. If you're gonna sit here and try to spout out your UBER simulator credentials, the least you could do is lie and say you were playing with slightly more decent equipment than an MS Sidewinder Precision 2.  You'd actually be better off using a mouse and keyboard than a piece of crap like that that's plagued with deadzone issues and is made to such poor standards that it actually has to be CALIBRATED every time you use it, what a joke!  Sorry, broseph, but that thing was complete trash even when it was new a decade ago, so don't sit here and try to act all elitist when you're purporting to be the sim-master yet you're doing it on that kind of broke setup.  See, other people can be mean too...  not much fun, is it?

Last edited by Ratchet916 (2014-10-07 01:21:48)

#8 2014-10-10 16:21:46

Armondikov

Wow... and here I was thinking this forum could be a refuge from the usual internet-based-idiocy that I spend most of my time dealing with. At least it's just the one post from a dedicated idiot and a blatantly unpopular opinion. Happy to read some of the bite-backs above, too - faith in humanity restored again big_smile.

#9 2014-10-11 01:18:42

Ratchet916

Armondikov wrote:

Wow... and here I was thinking this forum could be a refuge from the usual internet-based-idiocy that I spend most of my time dealing with. At least it's just the one post from a dedicated idiot and a blatantly unpopular opinion. Happy to read some of the bite-backs above, too - faith in humanity restored again big_smile.

It seriously irks me when someone acts like a total jerk for no reason, especially when it's concerning the hard work of others who are trying to give the community something great and asking nothing in return.  As if the total disrespect towards the devs wasn't lame enough, the ignorant blanket statement about "mouth breathers" based on control preference sent me over the edge.  I swear, internet anonymity has got to be one of the worst things to happen in the history of humanity.

Board footer