You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our official Wings forum is still a little bit quiet. Let's change that!
Play our game, register here and get in touch with us developers and other Wings players and fans!

You can also follow us on Twitter @WingsOfNazaire, we'd appreciate it a lot!

#1 2014-01-30 03:55:31

eobet

Scanlines?

I saw the other forum topic on the internal resolution & full screen option, and I have to admit I found it confusing as well.

But since that will not get changed, what I'm most missing is a nice variety of scanline options!

I'm talking about full black, half black, interpolated, CRT emulation, RGB emulation, with and without bevel distortion, vignette, the full monty basically...

In short, the pixellated look is weird for the fidelity of graphics you present, but adding scanlines would not make me question it (and you could hide the internal resolution option altogether with full screen).

PS. I can't believe this is free. It's amazing work! All the details from WC in the cockpit is there, holy shit those explosions...

#2 2014-02-05 11:37:05

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer

Re: Scanlines?

Thank you very much, eobet, and welcome to the forums!

We have not even thought about scanlines and the scaling options you mention, so all I can say at the moment is that we'll consider it and research how hard it is to pull this off in Unity!

#3 2014-03-04 20:53:42

Le Chuck

By adding scan line functions all you're really doing is emulating older hardware.  They can definitely take the edge off some hard polys and give a smoother visual but if folks are nostalgic for that they can either run the game on a CRT like I am or there are really great convertors that add in adjustable scanlines between the VGA out and the monitor for those rocking LCDs.  I've used them on several builds to reintroduce scanlines onto modern displays.  It's a good alternative to spending time coding them in and keeps every bit of processing power where it needs to be - blowing ships up lol.

#4 2014-03-14 17:09:50

Armondikov

I suppose it's not terribly weird. After all, lens flares arise because of imperfections in equipment - and now they're considered as an integral part of visuals so that people add them in even though they're technically an imperfection that could be solved with modern technology. But I can't see why you'd want to bother emulating a CRT when the point is to mix modern quality and effects with the nostalgia, which means you can use modern tech to kill off the undesirable bits rather than waste time adding them in.

#5 2014-04-14 21:27:38

multivac

Why not use the crt-shader from sweetfx:

Anl2ydW.jpg
Qe2tzLF.jpg
wYb74WH.jpg
KwgjQ8o.jpg

#6 2014-04-15 11:05:59

Jan Simon
Wings Programmer